- Bring up automation window by apple, 4 (on keypad) or under automation, in the window tab.
- You can 'suspend' all automation if you want for all tracks.
- Click plug-in to automate plug in.
- When automation tab is red, it is enabled.
- Go to write mode, put up volume level so you can hear what you are doing.
- Record and move fader to apply automation.
- Write mode overrides any previous automation points.
- Make sure selection is enabled in automation window.
There are 7 modes for automation
- 'Off' can be enabled to turn off any automation.
- 'Touch' mode only adds automation when you touch fader and then returns to what is already has been automated.
- Can be used to combine old automation with new adjustments.
- Under preferences, mixing, automated time (for setting up how slow/fast you want the touch mode to return to previous automation.)
- 'Latch' mode plays back automation that has been made, and once you move the fader, it stays in place and moves only when you adjust.
- 'Trim' function tweaks automation only slightly, creating a composite of both old and new automation.
- Trim can be enabled with the other functions as well.
Viewing and Editing Automation
- Use the grabber tool to create break points.
- Option, Click to erase break points.
- Apple, Click to add break points.
- The little arrow at the bottom left of each track can be used to show automation of specific automation. Click the '+' for other independent automation views to be opened.
- Double click to select entire track.
- Highlight section and Press Delete to get rid of all viewable automation.
- Use pencil tool to draw in automation.
- Select Wave type under pencil tool and select the resolution (bars and beats, and 1/8 or other appropriate beat type).
- Edit, Copy Special to send automation of volume, to pan as well, or whatever other automation you choose.
- Make sure to un-group to do automation for 1 track of group.
- Use selection tool to highlight and move automation.
- Hold Command key to fine tune automation.
- Control, Option, Apple, Click pot button and select automation option.
- Go to latch mode with the plug in automation selected and edit in real time with the plug in.
Automation, things to keep in mind
- Write mode is destructive.
- Latch mode only applies to one automation.
- Use Escape key to scroll through edit menu tools.